Thursday, August 30, 2007

Missing


Yesterday, we attended a picnic for Merck. As you can imagine, there were a LOT of people in attendance. They had a station where you could tie dye t-shirts. So Shann and I decided to take turns watching the kids while we each did our shirts. I was half-way through mine and Alyssa's, when Shann came up to me and said, "I don't want to alarm you, but I lost our daughter." You can imagine the shot of adrenaline and fear that shot through my heart. Yes, ok, since you said that, I won't be alarmed!
We spent several minutes searching our immediate area, and she was nowhere. (Mind you, I'm dripping with bright colors everywhere I go from the dye). So we widened the search. We were on a huge lawn, with several kid's activities, a DJ stand, food stands, etc. A few minutes later, we concluded that she was not even anywhere in this area. Shann walked around the corner, and I was about to have the DJ announce that she was missing, when he came walking up holding her. She had gotten probably 25 yards past the corner, and was strolling along enjoying the day - totally oblivious that we were not near, and of course oblivious to any danger of being taken by the hundreds of people around her. She did this several times yesterday - starting off on her own adventure with no thought to us. And she wasn't too pleased to not be allowed to explore independently.
If the Lord closes the door on something I'm wanting to do, I wonder how much I struggle and fight Him, when I have no idea what he has just saved me from.

No comments: