Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bad Parenting 101?

The other night we were watching the Olympics. Caden said, "maybe I'll train to be in the Olympics..." I forget what sport he mentioned. I said, "Buddy, to train to be in the Olympics, you have to work many hours each day, for many years, and then you could get all the way to the Olympics and then trip and fall!" He decided maybe he wouldn't want to do that.

I felt like a bit of a dream crusher, but its true! Even if you don't fall, someone else could win by 1/400th of a second or a judge could decide they don't like your style or whatever. Perhaps its unpopular, but I think its a giant waste of time. EVEN if you get a medal. This doesn't mean you can support a family unless you're the top 2 or 3 beautiful, awesome, amazing athletes that get to be spokespeople. And then the media will be following you, hoping you mess up to get a picture of it. No thanks.

I, for one, think sports should be for fun and excercise. End of story.

3 comments:

mle said...

I was with you until the part about "then [you could] trip and fall"...I don't think the possibility of failure is a reason to not pursue whatever dreams you may have. Maybe that wasn't the message you intended to send...
I am with you though on not understanding why someone would spend all that time and effort to pursue a sport in that way. We were just watching the Men's Ski Cross and I told Mark I want to be able to do that, but I don't want to do what it takes to be able to do that...

Sarah Jane said...

I do agree in theory. And I didn't need to go into my opinion of olympians with Caden, either. And of course, if he was older, and had genuine interest, I'd watch my words more carefully. But, really, what spiritual benefit is there for winning a medal? Even if you do happen to get that far?

Mark Erdmann said...

I believe the benefit is in doing what God enables you to do. If you happen to have a love and aptitude for a particular sport, then pursue it to the highest level you can and glorify God all the way.