Thursday, November 17, 2011

Life is But a Weaving

Recently I've been studying Job in a Bible study I'm taking. Its such a rich and deep and real book. Caden is also studying this in his class, and its been interesting to study such a difficult concept with a child. Yesterday he said to me "I gotta say, if all this happened to me, I don't know how I'd feel about God!" So I asked him what God owes him. And he admitted that God doesn't owe him anything. Its awesome to realize this so young! If this concept can sink into his heart now, it will save him some heartache later.


Today the teacher quoted this poem. I thought it was beautiful, and a great example of how little of the big picture we can see.


My life is but a weaving

Between my God and me.

I cannot choose the colors

He weaves steadily.

Often times He weaves sorrow;

And I in foolish pride

Forget He sees the upper

And I the underside.

Not ‘til the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Will God unroll the canvas

And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful

In the weaver’s skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;

Nothing this truth can dim.

He gives the very best to those

Who leave the choice to Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, Caden's comment was what we all think and maybe even say. Our discipleship class started with a scenario of loss in a man's life who is not very connected to God. Our class this Sunday will deal with that. Mom