Sunday, July 19, 2009

Undefined

Alyssa has frequently been asking what different words mean. And some of them are tricky. Like, "Mom, what does trust mean?" Or, "Mom, what does 'in Christ' mean?"

Yesterday, She said, "Caden, don't interrupt! That is not polite!"
I was very pleased and impressed... until she asked me a moment later what 'polite' means. And then of course, what 'rude' means (these are often used close together in this house).

I've been talking SO often about being polite, and now feel quite crestfallen that the whole time, she didn't understand what that IS. I told her that polite is thinking about others before yourself. Which isn't textbook, and probably isn't understandable to her. I don't think I explain things well on her level.

I suppose I need a children's dictionary on hand.

No comments: