Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Irritable Bill Syndrome

How can a person who I see at a maximum of 4 minutes per week make my blood boil so? Bill works at our library. And Bill always seems to be irritated. Irritated at my very existence, yes, it seems so. But he is really miffed at the fact that I ask questions, reserve books, and sometimes have fines. The other librarians do not seem to take it as a personal affront when I return a book late, but Bill treats me like a tattooed video-game playing teenager, instead of the adult book-reader that I am.

I was in the library yesterday, picking up a book I'd reserved. I had already received a call that my book "The Giraffe that walked to Paris" was in. I gave Bill my name, and asked him to see if my book was in (knowing that it was). One only needs to pivot 90 degrees to view the reserved bookshelf. But Bill insisted that he have my library card to "open my account" first. I suppose he wanted to see my 'standing' with the library so that he knew how to treat me. He told me with disdainful relish (or so I imagined) that I had a fine of $1.60. Now, I KNOW that I paid said fine last week to Bill himself. I remember it clearly. I told this to Irritable Bill, but he said, after looking over his spectacles at me, that he would 'just leave the fine on my account'. I don't know why Bill would do this, except for the fact that he does not believe me. After all, I do look rather like the book-burning, 'liar about library fines' type.

I haven't decided what to do about this small fine which I refuse to pay twice. I'd really LIKE to call one of the kind librarians and tell on Irritable Bill, but perhaps that would be uncharitable, and I'm not sure what it would profit me. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be salt and light? Take to him homemade cookies? Pay the fine double? What would Jesus do? I know that you are right!!! Perhaps random acts of kindness will bring him to his senses. We wish you success!

David and Pat