Friday, October 30, 2009

The beginning of the end

As most of you know, I'm homeschooling Caden this year. It has its ups and downs, but the really fun part is that reading is just starting to click! I thought this was a good thing.

Shann and I frequently spell things to each other. For awhile, the kids have enjoyed trying to guess what we're saying, but last night, Shann spelled b-u-t-t to me, and Caden sounded it out!
He was extremely jubilant over this fact, and his joy was compounded since we don't allow the kids to use this term!

I'm not sure what we'll do now, as I'm pretty sure Shann and I are not up to spelling backwards!

2 comments:

The Mangin Family said...

I have a solution for that! Eric and I add "Jk" before everything we spell... For example, it would be "J-K-B-U-T-T and for some reason the J-K together completely stumps them! :) It worked smashingly through 1st grade. Kenzie now knows and so if I REALLY need to spell it I add something like "JKYX," in which case Eric is completely lost too!
Good luck and congrats on the milestone!
-Monica

Christie said...

PIG LATIN! Need I say more.