Thursday, February 17, 2011

Baby Chicks!

On February 7th, Alyssa's birthday, we picked up 12 eggs from a local farmer. For a whole week, we took care of these eggs in this incubator box, turning the eggs, and keeping them warm. Then one week later, last Monday night, when we were about to eat dinner, we heard a lot of peeping and cracking. All four of us watched at the first baby chick emerged! We were amazed that that floppy, awkward chick had been all folded up inside the tiny egg! The chicks in this picture have been out of the egg for several hours. And the slow-poke that didn't emerge for several more.

Reading poetry

playing cars



sitting on the dinner plate!



A fellow homeschooled little girl asked me today if we'd made observations and recorded them in a notebook. I said we'd done a lot of observing, but that we hadn't written it down. She looked downcast, and said, "oh, you could've used it for homeschooling if you had!" I told her I think we still learned some things!

The chicks are going back to the farm tomorrow. We had fun with you, little peeps!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh they are so cute! How fun! My favorite picture is the chick on the book. I think I would be posing them all over the house! :-)

Anonymous said...

How much fun! Dad said all 12 hatched! Caden and Alyssa will never forget it! Mom