Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Potty training: the guts and the glory

Pottytraining 101: During the first successful week, never trust a child's ability to 'hold it' when away from home.
Last week, Shann worked double shifts every day. So Friday night, I figured I'd treat Caden and Alyssa to McDonald's and spend time in the restaurant's playland. We got our food and sat down in the play area. We had been there for about 10 minutes when I looked up and saw Alyssa looking down at her feet, legs apart, and whimpering. I'd like to say I raced up, but as the pygmy stairway was maybe 3 feet high, I sort of scrambled up, banging my knees, calling to Alyssa to hold it. When I reached her, I realized to my dismay that 1) I was too late, and 2) it wasn't pee.

It was no small feat to carry her (in front of me while hunched over) down the spirled wee stairs. Once I got to the bottom, I just stared at her for a minute, trying to figure out what to do. I had no diapers or wipes. And for the story's sake, I must say that this stuff resembled applesauce. It was already dripping out of her pant leg. I had Caden come down to stand with her while I raced to the car to get my first aid kit. When I reached them again, and got out my two teeny wet naps, I realized that these would come nowhere close to helping. So I told Caden we would need to leave, and while trying to stay sane through his protests, I packed up our uneaten dinner, said hello and goodbye to a nice family from church, and carried her like a Thanksgiving turkey to the car.

Again, I stared at her. There was no way I was putting her in the carseat. So I had her stand on a rubber mat in the back seat, holding onto the handles on the seat in front of her. She thought this was great! On our short drive home, Caden enviously pointed out that even 4 year-old boys sometimes have accidents. I said, that no indeed, they do not! (You have to be in desperate shape to intentionally soil yourself hoping to be allowed to stand in the car.)

The good news is that in spite of this fiasco, she has done very well. She is actually waking up dry, and I think we're well on our way. So even though I hope this won't happen again, I'll be carrying my diaper bag along for a while yet.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

You should really send this story to readers digest. The $100 publishing allowance will come in handy for Shann to have the mini-van professionally cleaned/dis-infected. As for the playland... this seals the deal for me. No more Liptak kids allowed to play (touch/lick the balls in the pit) at McD's PLs. I am guessing accidents like this happen several times a week.

Ah- the humility of parenting. Clearly it is time to seriously think about #3.

Uncle Scott

Five Rocking Chairs said...

wow... that is really horrifying. do you admit to the mcdonalds staff that there is a clean up in the playland.. or just run for the car?!