Saturday, January 12, 2008

Out to Dinner

This week I've been feeling horrible. I have a nasty cold, cough, and have been feeling achy. So last night I decided we'd just go out. This way I wouldn't have to come up with a dinner I didn't feel like eating anyway.
Luckily, this restaurant is one of the many that brings drinks for kids with a lid and a straw. Nevertheless, not one, but both Caden and Alyssa managed to spill very cold water in their laps. Poor Alyssa absolutely soaked her pants - it looked as though she wasn't wearing diaper if you get my drift. So we asked for our first large stack of napkins. The kid's PBJ came quickly. We usually ask for the kids meal to come as soon as its ready (so they have something to do). But then they've finished by the time we're eating. This was the case last night - Shann and I were both eating, and apparently not paying much attention to her, when Alyssa bit into a coffee creamer. Cream exploded all over Shann's seat and shirt. Napkins. Not long after, as Caden was eating his ice cream, somehow it made its way to the floor underneath our table. More napkins. And crying. I ordered hot tea, but had to hold it right in front of me so that it wouldn't be spilled by either child. Caden, by then, was bored and bouncing back and forth between the seats, and Alyssa was grabbing everything in sight. Picture Shann and I sitting still gazing at one another with a blur of motion around us.
And I asked myself: was this easier than eating at home?

2 comments:

John and Michelle said...

I was almost upset that we couldn't come. I love to go out to eat.

Robert said...

Sarah, how good that you and Shann were still able to look at each other thru the blur of activity around you!